One of the most daunting things about reading The Silmarillion is keeping all of the names straight. I love this, so I want to make it more accessible for the general reader with brief character profiles.
- Name: Celegorm and Curufin
- Immediate Family:
- Father & Mother: Fëanor and Nerdanel
- Brother #1: Maedhros
- Brother #2: Maglor
- Brother #3: Caranthir
- Brother #4: Amrod
- Brother #5: Amras
- Home: born in Valinor, lived in Middle-earth
- Claim to fame: After Maedhros, Celegorm and Curufin were probably the most politically influential of the Fëanorians. Curufin was also the father of Celebrimbor, who forged the Rings of Power.
- Why I think they’re interesting: While Caranthir has the reputation of being the worst of the sons of Fëanor, these two win that prize, in my opinion. They planned to usurp the throne of Nargothrond from Finrod and his steward Orodreth. They were going to force Lúthien to marry Celegorm (forced marriage was incredibly rare among Elves). When that didn’t work out, Curufin tried to kill Lúthien. Pretty bad dudes.
Photo Credit: Alex Ristea